Having basic tools and supplies that have been prepared in advance will aid to your survival in an emergency. One of the best survival skills is being able to think outside of the box and use what you have at hand. Including a wide range of tools in your survival kits will allow you navigate as best as possible during a crisis.
Supplies in a survival kit normally contain the following:
- a knife
- light sticks
- sewing kit
- cooking utensils
- communication devices
A good knife is on the top of your list when making emergency supply preparations. A knife is one of the most important tools you can have whether you are just on a day trip into the country or in your bug out bag. Humans have been making use of knives during our entire history because they are such a versatile tool that can be used to hunt, to prepare food, to cut through bush, to create shelters and to mark where you have been.
When looking for a good knife, ensure the blade is strong and made of good materials. A folding blade is handy to carry safely and is compact but fixed blades tent to be stronger.
The handle of a good blade is just as important as the steel itself. Ensure that the handle of the knife has a slight bulge at the tip for balance, and to prevent the knife from sliding out of your hand during use. Solid handles are best because hollow handles are more likely to break or be damaged and a non-slip grip for safety will top it off nicely.
We stock a range of the Les Stroud knives. Les Stroud is a famous survivalist. He is known for hosting the award winning show SurvivorMan in which he demonstrated his expertise in navigating dangerous situations like deserts, mountains, forests and frozen wastelands with just the basic tools. His products are effective, quality pieces.
Desert Folding Knife - Folder features a non-stick, Titanium Bonded® 440 stainless steel blade with dual thumb studs for easy operation in either hand. Its black/gray, ergonomic rubber handle also features a liner lock frame and integrated belt clip. A built-in fire starter is standard too. 7 3/4" overall with a 3 1/2" blade.
Arctic Fixed Sport Knife - Featuring a full-tang, non-stick Titanium Bonded® 440 stainless steel blade, this knife comes with a handle that's just as tough, thanks to a knurled steel pommel and black/gray grip. Other features include a blade notch for striking a fire starter (included), lanyard hole, and a ballistic-nylon sheath with a mesh pocket and storage compartment. 9" overall with 4 1/2" blade.
Jungle Survival Machete - Featuring a 440 stainless steel blade, this machete cuts through the toughest undergrowth with ease. Its tri-bonded ABS handle also boasts a knurled steel pommel and lanyard hole. And it comes standard with a ballistic-nylon sheath that includes a mesh pocket and fire starter. 18" overall with a 11 3/4" blade.
Mountain Ultimate Survival Knife - Fully loaded, this knife comes with a lot more than a sharp blade, which just happens to be full-tang, non-stick Titanium Bonded® 440 stainless steel that's partially serrated. It also has a black/gray handle with a knurled steel pommel and lanyard hole. A hard ballistic nylon sheath is included, too, as is an integrated ceramic sharpener, para-cord wrap, integrated LED flashlight and whistle, fire starter, S.O.S. signal mirror, mesh pocket, and storage compartment. 10" overall with a 4 3/4" blade.
Other emergency equipments include the survival blanket. You might know solar Blankets by the following names – emergency blankets, mylar balnkets, space or first aid blankets.
These are thin, shiny silver sheets which are effective as keeping you warm by trapping and reflecting your body heat back towards you. Hyperthermia is a real danger, especially when you do not have access to external heat sources or proper shelter.
A survival blanket can be used to insulate your clothing by wrapping it around your body underneath your clothes. This will prevent wind from sucking your body heat away and keep you warm.
The Survival Goods Tool Bundle is a good buy as it covers off your basics. The bundle includes:
- Heavy Duty Work Gloves – protect your hands when clearing debris from natural or man made disasters
- Pair of Knee Pads
- 6-in-1 Survival Shovel: It's a shovel, hatchet, hammer, saw, nail puller and a can opener! This must-have survival tool comes equipped with an easy push-button snap lock, ensuring quick tool changes while maintaining tool safety and strength. Saw stores securely in handle and extends this 15" shovel to an 18" saw. Excellent for camping, home and auto. This tool comes with a convenient, canvas carrying sheath with belt loops.
- 50 yards of Duct Tape – Duct tape is a must have. The strong, waterproof adhesive tape has basically infinite uses. It has been used extensively in survival situations to repair your equipment, to create shelters, to improve the durability of your clothing as well as in first aid – it is versatile and perfect for keeping in case of emergencies.
- 100 ft of 1/4" Nylon Rope
- Hand Chain Saw: Perfect for cutting wood when no electrical saws are available. 82 Teeth - 47cm in length. Includes carry pouch
- Safety Goggles: Clear lens. Protects eyes from impact, dust, chemical splash. Soft flexible frame. Indirect vent ports reduce fogging