Have Kits and Supplies on Hand
Consider the basics of survival when thinking about preparing for a disaster:
- One gallon of water per person for at least three days for drinking and sanitation
- A three day supply of non-perishable food for each family member
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Battery operated flashlight with extra batteries
- Anything loud such as a whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Items for personal sanitation including wet wipes, hand sanitizer, and garbage bags
- Wrench, pliers, and any other tools needed to shut off utilities.
- Can opener for food items
- Maps of local areas
- Cell phones with charges
Additional Items That Would Be Helpful in an Emergency Survival Kit:
- Important medications for each family member and glasses
- Infant food, formula, bottles, diapers, and wipes
- Be sure to take into consideration pets when stocking your drinking water, also you should add pet food to your kit
- Have all important family identification records in a waterproof container
- Cash, traveler’s checks, and change
- Emergency reference pamphlets that you can receive from www.ready.gov
- Sleeping bags and blankets for each person
- Complete change of clothing for each person in the house.Include a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes to protect your body from debris. Add additional clothing according to the climate.
- Chlorine bleach and medicine dropper.The bleach can be used as a disinfectant and to treat contaminated water.
- Fire Extinguisher
- Waterproof container with matches and lighters
- Personal hygiene items including feminine supplies
- Paper, cups, plates, paper towels, and plastic utensils to eat with
- Waterproof container with paper and pencils
- Activities to keep children occupied such as books, games, and puzzles
Create a Family Emergency Survival Plan today!
Please Visit http://ready.adcouncil.org/beprepared/fep/index.jsp