Emergency Response Kit
Prepare for what is the most likely to happen in your area. If you live in the Northeast, snowstorms would be the logical incident that you may have to prepare for. If you live in the South, then hurricanes would be what you need to pay attention to. Military families are unique in this situation because they may move to different areas that have different incidents that are unique to that location. Learn about your location and what is considered ‘normal.’
You can buy a response kit or make your own with items you already have around the house. Keep in plastic bin, back pack, duffel bag or any other easy to carry water proof container. It will be important to be able to grab it in case you need to evacuate.
Water is the most important item to have in case of any emergency. Each person should have one gallon of water per day for at least three days.
- You should store at least a three day supply of non-perishable food that requires on refrigeration, preparation or cooking.
- Eating utensils
- Canned Juice
- Dried fruit
- Peanut butter
- Dry cereal
- Canned meat, fruits and vegetables
- Food for infants
First Aid Kit
- You should keep one in your car and a kit in your home
- Gauze pads
- Adhesive tape
- Ace bandage
- Non latex gloves
- Sting and bite ointment
- Instant cold pack
Clothing, bedding and sanitation
- Moist towelettes and garbage bags
- Sleeping bag and blanket for each person
Chlorine bleach can be used for disinfecting water. Nine parts of water to one part bleach. Do not use scented bleach, color safe or any other with added cleaners.
- Whistle to call for help
- NOAA weather radio (battery or hand crank)
- Can opener
- Cell phone with charger
- Flashlight (battery or hand crank)
- Local maps
- Dust mask
- Wrench to be able to turn off utilities
- Fire extinguisher
- Cash or traveler’s checks
- Pet food and water
Passports, bank information, insurance papers, social security number, insulin, special foods and medicine for diabetics, extra pair of glasses. Keep important papers in a water proof container or air tight plastic bag.
Items for Children
- Books, crayons, games
- Formula and diapers